Lewis County Herald
2002 News Archives
- December 31, 2002: What were the top news stories of
2002?; Cooper's dreams come true; Applications still accepted for unemployment; Photo
Catch: Lewis County bailiffs.
- December 24, 2002: Lottery makes winners of Lewis County
families; School Board hears CATS analysis; Shirley Porter recognized by postal service;
Photo Catch: Santa in Garrison Christmas parade.
- December 17, 2002: Industrial Park project moves along;
Fiscal Court changes insurance to KACo; Al Roe donates clock; Photo Catch: George Plummer
- December 10, 2002: Winter storm hits Kentucky; Council
increases donations; Fire at Glenmary Farm burns chapel; State expands 511 hotline.
- December 3, 2002: No Call signup is Tuesday; Three
charged in burglary; Two charged following Cabin Creek burglaries; Photo Catch: False
alarm on Thanksgiving.
- November 26, 2002: Magistrates hear right-of-way woes;
JROTC competes at Field Day; Vanceburg resident honored; Photo Catches: Carl Marshall at
checker tournament, Allan Harman plaque, LCMS academic team.
- November 19, 2002: Water project moves along; School
Board updated on performance; Animal control is topic for humane society; Photo Catches:
18-point buck and piebald buck.
- November 12, 2002: Underwood, Lucas, Borders win; Ohio
man arrested after chase; Authorities look for bank robber; Council sets rates for
- November 5, 2002: Shock probation denied for murder
defendant; Concord teen dies after being struck by train; Accident investigated; Photo
Catch: trick or treat.
- October 29, 2002: Traveler just "passin'
through"; Accident fatal for Quincy man; Firefighters called to fire at Central;
Photo Catch: Hissing cockroaches at Central Elementary.
- October 22, 2002: Sewer system discussed for Garrison
wastewater; Accident investigated; State awards funds for education in jail; Photo Catch:
- October 15, 2002: Ohio man charged following chase;
Officials set city tax rates; Boulder in roadway struck by three vehicles; Plant Board
audit is clean.
- October 8, 2002: Daughter and son rescue Randy Bartee
from river; Slate set for November election; $1,000 reward offered; Photo Catch: mushroom.
- October 1, 2002: Officials set local tax rates; Woman
not hurt in AA Highway rollover; More pot destroyed; Photo Catches: Buck Carroll and
Breaking New Ground, 4-H pumpkin contest; greased pig; sorghum making.
- September 24, 2002: Bentley Store closing after 64
years; Four sentenced in Prater murder; More pot destroyed; Local tax rates set.
- September 17, 2002: Magistrates mull sanitation law;
Property taxes delayed, will be addressed later; Pot grown by inmates found on county
land; Photo Catches: Tobacco settlement check, Mock ATV accident; 9/11 remembrance
ceremony at Vanceburg Rehab.
- September 10, 2002: Dr. Williams arraigned; Marijuana
seized in Vanceburg; New restaurants opening; Photo Catch: 9/11 balloon release.
- September 3, 2002: 9/11 victims remembered; Harvest Day
will be September 28; Lewis County horses have West Nile; Photo Catch: buildings painted.
- August 27, 2002: Local facility gets another UK link;
Smith & Hull join sheriff's department; Plummer gives monthly report; Photo Catch:
- August 20, 2002: Fiscal Court sets property tax rate;
CBT score improvements made; Knives taken in burglary; Photo Catch: Ken Lucas visits
- August 13, 2002: Council meets in regular session; Blitz
Build project this week in Tollesboro; Doctor arrested in Baltimore; Photo Catch: wild
- August 6, 2002: Alltel closes deal with Verizon; Former
sportscaster dead at 86; Fatal fire remains under investigation; Photo Catches:
agriculture field day, farmers market and a close-up view of a copperhead.
- July 30, 2002: Fire claims life of Joe McCane; Thurman
pleads guilty in Prater death; 9-1-1 service in operation; Grand Jury indicts one.
- July 23, 2002: KET program will feature Kinney, local
fishermen; South Shore doctor indicted on drug charges; Depot museum events; Photo Catch:
- July 16, 2002: School board hears reports;
Auto/pedestrian accident fatal for Tollesboro woman; Portsmouth man charged after
accident; Photo Catch: new light fixtures installed.
- July 9, 2002: Rail improvements continue; City Council
purchases accounting software; Fire destroys home; Unemployment in Lewis County continues
- July 2, 2002: Marijuana eradication efforts continue;
Landham first to file in governor's race; Body of Laurel man found near his home;
Vanceburg/Lewis County July Celebration schedule.
- June 25, 2002: City Council adopts budget; Grant awarded
for skateboard park; Vanceburg man charged after marijuana spotted; Photo Catch: Geoff
Davis visits Vanceburg.
- June 18, 2002: Relay raises $36,500; Fiscal Court adopts
new budget; Plant Board approves budget; Photo Catch: construction at Tollesboro clinic
and Black Oak Industrial Park.
- June 11, 2002: MRI services available locally; City
budget is leaner this year; City adds cruisers to fleet; Photo Catch: garage fire.
- June 4, 2002: Primary narrows slate of hopefuls; Rail
crossing replacements called "state-of-the-art"; Police investigate accidents;
Photo Catch: wrestling fund raiser for Band of Pride.
- May 28, 2002: Repairs needed on Straight Fork; Plants
seized, man charged; Wildlife area dedicated; Crash results in death of Olive Hill woman.
- May 21, 2002: Ground broken for Black Oak industrial
park development; Electric Plant Board gets project updates; Fiscal Court addresses
residents' complaints; School Board meets.
- May 14, 2002: Council gets update from Adelphia; Cleanup
Week deemed successful; Autos collide on Sunday; Photo Catches: Meet the Candidates, LCHS
- May 7, 2002: LCHS students get first hand advice about
drinking and driving; Mobile clinic makes first stop in Vanceburg; Reward offered in
four-wheeler theft; Photo Catches: Morel mushrooms and JROTC volleyball.
- April 30, 2002: Mobile FEMA Center provides assistance;
School board hears KEES report; Two charged after attempted break-in; Photo Catch: tire
- April 23, 2002: Graduation will be on a Saturday;
Exchange student from Spain; Folk Art Display at Depot Museum; Photo Catch: Dogwood tree
- April 16, 2002: Work underway at clinic; Magistrates
hear project update; Questions raised about new clinic; Photo Catch: LCHS science fair
- April 9, 2002: Council adopts Comprehensive Plan;
Burglary thwarted by homeowner; Chamber will host Meet the Candidates; Photo Catches:
Vanceburg Lions radio auction, snow on a plow, accidents.
- April 2, 2002: Tollesboro clinic closer to reality;
Burglaries under investigation; Four injured in AA Highway accident; Photo Catch: Spring
break snapping turtle hatches.
- March 26, 2002: Region hit by flash flooding; Lions
Radio Auction next week; Kidwell named top umpire; Tobacco producers favor mandatory
- March 19, 2002: 911 service on the way; Concerns aired
to magistrates; Siblings reunited after 64 years; County Clean-up set for next week.
- March 12, 2002: Council updated on water; Deputy injured
in Sunday crash; Ohio man jailed on drug charges; Four arrested following burglaries.
- March 5, 2002: Driver's licenses have new look; March is
Severe Storms Preparedness Month; Relay for Life gospel sing planned; Vanceburg Head Start
- February 25, 2002: Landham lawsuit to continue;
Industrial Authority discusses improvement proposals; Accident injures two; Photo Catches:
workers install awning on Main Street, and a double rainbow.
- February 19, 2002: Magistrates discuss ambulance
service; School Board hears successes; Concord receives grant; Photo Catches: Deputy
Simonetti graduates, Car seat checks.
- February 12, 2002: Push on for cleaner Kentucky; Council
updated on proposed skate park; Tollesboro burglaries under investigation; Tobacco grading
- February 5, 2002: Several file for primary; Farmers
Market plans for new season; Lewis has highest unemployment rate; Photo Catch: tobacco
- January 29, 2002: Water project closer to reality;
Electric Plant Board meets; Garrison businessman Orville Bentley died; State Cost Share
Program sign ups.
- January 22, 2002: School board begins new year;
Magistrates approve budgets; Summer jobs at 4-H camps; Photo Catches: Snow scenes and fire
- January 15, 2002: City to apply for funding; Industrial
park work continues; Apparent suicide under investigation; General Assembly session
- January 8, 2002: Car fire claims life; Men arrested for
attempted robbery; Burglary suspect arrested; Photo Catches: Power infrastructure
construction, Rock face icicles.
- January 1, 2002: What were the top stories for 2001?;
Phase II checks are in the mail; Man arrested for parole violation; Photo Catch: holiday
lights in Garrison, fire on Rock Run, Santa at VFW.
Click here for Year 2000 archive list
Click here for Year 2001 archive list
or use the search engine.
|Search The Lewis County Herald news archives back to April 26, 2000. Type in
a keyword(s) and then click "Search".
Questions or comments? E-mail Us:
Lewis County Herald ( firstname.lastname@example.org
This site developed and maintained by Paula Franke.
© Copyright 2002, Lewis County Herald Publishing Co., Inc.
The content of these pages is for the information of our visitors and may not be
reproduced without written permission. To request permission, contact Dennis Brown at 606-796-2331.