|Area firefighters responded to two calls last
week in the Vanceburg area, resulting in the loss of a garage/workshop and a home, along
with the contents of each.
Firefighters were first called to Halbert Avenue in Vanceburg
on Tuesday when a building there was reported on fire.
The building, a garage/workshop, was destroyed by the fire, although a few items were
removed from the building before the fire got too intense.
The building did not have electric service but did have a small wood-burning heating
stove, according to a neighbor.
The second call was early Saturday morning when a flue fire was reported at a home at
Charters, west of Vanceburg.
Firefighters responded to find flames shooting through the side of the two-story home.
The fire eventually spread throughout the home and destroyed nearly all of the
contents. Family members were able to salvage a very few items before the fire spread,
hampering further attempts to remove anymore items from the home.
Debbie Knell, who rented the house, located on old Route 10, her two daughters, son and
companion, lost nearly all personal belongings, furniture and the Christmas gifts opened
only two days earlier.
Dennis Brown/Lewis County Herald
Vanceburg firefighters battled a blaze last week at
this garage/workshop on Halbert Avenue in Vanceburg. The fire is thought to have been
started by a heating stove.
Donations of clothing, household items, and money are being sought for the family.
Mary Thurman said clothing is much needed along with other household items and money to
help the family get back on its feet. Thurman may be contacted at 606-796-9017.
Further information on the needs of the family may also be obtained by contacting
Carol Edington at 606-796-0238.