Lewis County Herald News Archives
- November 14, 2006: Veterans Day
ceremony at LCHS; Council establishes tax rates; New street addressing
system begins; Photo Catch: Voice of Democracy essay winners.
- November 7, 2006: LCPCC to
rebrand as PrimaryPlus; Lewis County leaders launch technology plan;
Academic Team captures season title; Veterans Day ceremony.
- October 31, 2006: Meet the
Candidates a success; PSHH announces winners; Thomas Home dedication; Three
injured in accident.
- October 24, 2006: Meet the
Candidates Thursday night; George Morgan Thomas House dedication Saturday;
Accident investigated; Sheriff warns of scams.
- October 17, 2006: Magistrates OK
prescription drug program; Natural gas rates to be reduced again; School
Board takes steps to ensure safe environment; Vandalism at courthouse and
- October 10, 2006: Trick or
Treating set for October 31; AA Highway safety improvements; CO detector
give-away; Boys & Girls Club shopping spree.
- October 3, 2006: What you should
know about CO poisoning; Fiscal Court meets in recessed session; Man
arrested with stolen vehicle; Photo Catch: Moving building and pumpkin
- September 26, 2006: Broadband
grants announced; School Board approves tax rate; Election update; Teegarden
named to advisory committee.
- September 19, 2006: Natural gas
prices to go down 5%; Bid awarded for animal shelter; City Council adopts
three resolutions; Marijuana confiscated.
- September 12, 2006:
Transportation Cabinet awards grants; Superior Fibers acquires Hollinee;
Woman dies in accident; Photo Catch: School Fair pageants.
- September 5, 2006: AA/57
intersection improvements; Cooper receives regionalism award; County get
$250,000 ARC grant; Photo Catch: Dove-A-Rama.
- August 29, 2006: National Guard
home from border patrol duty; Emma Jordan is Kentucky Colonel; Buckaroos 4-H
at state competition; Photo Catch: Girl Scouts visit Camp Dix VFD.
- August 22, 2006: Black Oak spec
building may have new occupant; Plans continue for new library; School Board
begins new year; Interagency Council looks at emergency preparedness.
- August 15, 2006: Congressman
presents cruiser keys; City Council hears from Time/Warner Cable; Bid
opening set for water project; Boys & Girls Club opens new season.
- August 8, 2006: County looks to
hire only part-time employees; Drive Smart Kentucky Blitz planned; Man dies
in tractor accident; Suspect arrested in connection with burglary.
- August 1, 2006: Drawings
accepted for new library; Farmers Market August 6-12; Man injured in
accident; Photo Catch: Tollesboro Lions Queen and Teen.
- July 25, 2006: Concert benefits
Boys & Girls Club; Lewis County man indicted in eBay fraud; Accident
claims life of Lewis County man; Photo Catch: Tollesboro Lions Club Fair
- July 18, 2006: Bulk Plants wins
bid for oil and gas; Stop order placed on Commercial Hotel project; School
Board complimented on grounds appearance; Electric Plant Board victim of
- July 11, 2006: SSgt Carlos
Farler Citizen Soldier Equality Act; Library gets new computers:
Blackberries & Chiggers: a package deal; Photo Catch: July Celebration
- July 4, 2006: Chamber of
Commerce "Best of the Best"; Fiscal Court meets in recessed
session; Photo Catch: Library window display.
- June 27, 2006: Library Board
approves new budget; Statewide housing officials participate in mini-build;
Independence Day events announced; Photo Catch: accident and fire.
- June 20, 2006: Fiscal Court to
consider trash hauler limits; Electric Plant Board approves next budget;
School district reports 95% attendance; Photo Catch: Cultivating tobacco.
- June 14, 2006: City Council
hears annual budget; Homeownership is foundation of rural development;
Dummitt, McDaniel at state championship; Opportunity for jobseekers: Work
- June 6, 2006: Vanceburg gets
Renaissance on Main certification; Wall of Hope Banner Tour; Drug sweep nets
several arrests; Photo Catch: Memorial Day.
- May 30, 2006: Billy Barbour
welcomed home with new heart; Alltel merger creates Windstream; George
Morgan Thomas Home seeks furnishings; Photo Catch; new connector road.
- May 23, 2006: Slate chosen for
fall election; Library construction may begin next Spring; AA Highway
contract approved; Cemetery Board visits local cemeteries.
- May 16, 2006: Jayne Elliott
named teacher of the year; Magistrates hear plans for residential
development; Teacher professional development discussed; Electric Plant
Board ahead of state water goal.
- May 9, 2006: Fletcher recommends
sewer funding; Guild to present first dinner theatre; City enters agreement
with architects; Police reports.
- May 2, 2006: Helen Rayburn
leaves us; Chamber hosts successful candidates nights; $50,000 approves for
Gateway RCD agri-tourism; Mini-fair planned at Tollesboro Lions Club.
- April 27, 2006: Library takes
more steps toward new building; School Board tours new TES addition; Changes
in adult education; LCMS Academic Team places at state.
- April 18, 2006: Fiscal Court
donates land; Electric Plant Board hires engineer; Prescribed burn a
success; Photo Catch: CATS testing pep rallies.
- April 11, 2006: Meet the
candidates throughout the county; City adopts resolution to join narcotics
task force; Quincy man arrested in vehicle thefts; Oak Ridge man arrested
for marijuana cultivation.
- April 4, 2006: Job Fair a
success; Two charged with animal cruelty; April is Fair Housing Month; Photo
Catch: Tour group and new lights.
- March 28, 2006: Bad bills
circulating; Jury recommends 15-year sentence; Two arrested in drug sting;
Photo Catch: traffic accident at Quincy.
- March 21, 2006: Homeland
Security Exercise; Animal shelter put on hold again; Board of Ed takes ride
on new bus; No change in utility rates for another month.
- March 14, 2996: City Council
adopts three resolutions; Two honored by Lakeside Christian Academy;
Interagency Council organizes; Two accidents investigated.
- March 7, 2006: Volunteers Help
Depot Museum operate; Burglary investigated; Forest fire season off to
ominous start; County adds more jail beds.
- February 28, 2006: Library
Board announces purchase; Renaissance Committee meets; Job fair planned;
Accident claims life of Tollesboro man.
- February 21, 2006: Magistrates
deny tax exemption; Bentley and Brown recognized for reading success;
Natural gas rates to go down another 10%; Boy injured in accident.
- February 14, 2006: Sheriff's
office continues efforts to eradicate drug trafficking; Lewis County grocer
indicted; City receives clean audit; Bicentennial events to be discussed.
- February 7, 2006: What were the
top stories for 2005?; Coach Prater retires after 27 years; Woman charged
after pills found; Fiscal Court holds special meeting.
- January 31, 2006: Library moves
step closer to new building; Two charged after wire found; Two charged
following traffic stop; School Board hears updates from principals.
- January 24, 2006: Husband
charged in shooting incident; Deputies investigate Tollesboro incidents; Two
injured in AA accident; School bus involved in minor accident.
- January 17, 2006: County ponders
tourism position; Natural gas rate to drop in February; City OKs Salt Lick
Bridge renovation; Carrs still in running for AEP plant.
- January 10, 2006: NASCAR
promotion by H&R Block; Robin Webb tapped for sportsmen caucus; Police
Reports: Amtrak makes unexpected stop, accident closes Rt. 344.
- January 3, 2006: What were the
top stories?; Cabin Creek Covered Bridge restoration history; Sheriff warns
of another potential scam; Phase II undeliverable checks list available.
- December 27, 2005:
Campbellsville University honors Ronnie Hord; Churches by Candlelight Tour a
success; Regional agritourism initiative underway; Photo Catch: Garrison
Christmas parade and Brutus as Santa Paws.
- December 20, 2005: ATV
Association makes presentation; Contract with Kentucky Power approved;
Public gives input for covered bridge project; School Board hears success
- December 13, 2005: City Council
approves alcohol ordinance; A&B Auto receives business award; Vanceburg
VFD urges fire safety during holiday season; Two charged in theft.
- December 6, 2005: Cabin Creek
Covered Bridge restoration plans; Agritourism competitive grants;
Unemployment up in Lewis County; Sheriff warns about area scam.
- November 29, 2005: Share the
Harvest provides Thanksgiving meals; One injured in Rt. 57 accident; Chamber
meeting to highlight workforce presentation; Two charged in theft.
- November 22, 2005: School Board
applies for grant; Free rat bait offered; Fiscal Court renews with St. Paul
Insurance; Library to get additional state aid.
- November 15, 2005: Veterans Day
program held at LCHS; City Council rescinds Beer license ordinance; Plant
Board considering power suppliers; Area fires under investigation.
- November 8, 2005: 3 cousins and
WWII veteran visit nation's Capitol; The devil to come to Vanceburg; LCHS
TSA attends conference; "Unbridled Spirit" brand sweeping the
- November 1, 2005: Informational
road signs studied; Electric Plant Board considers power providers; Keep
your kids smiling healthy; Photo Catch: Alltel repairs on Main Street, 201st
Kentucky National Guard Engineer Battalion, Tractor Drive.
- October 25, 2005: Rewards
offered in burglaries; Accidents under investigation; Replica ship Nina to
visit area; Tractor drive rescheduled.
- October 18, 2005: Lewis County
still in running for power plant; K-9 unit OK'd to keep schools drug-free;
Electric Plant Board approves audit; PSHH to hold drawing for CO detectors.
- October 11, 2005: Alternative ag,
agri-tourism conference next week; City Council meets; Family Math nights;
Faith-based halfway house planned.
- October 4, 2005: Lewis County
Primary Care hits airwaves; Two hurt when vehicle runs through guardrail;
Fall fire season begins; Accident shuts down Rt. 8.
- September 27, 2005: Electric
Plant Board OKs 40% rate increase; Teen honored by Board of Education,
Sheriff; Library receives continuing education funds; Photo Catch: Ham
auction, AA/Grayson Spur accident, Nina replica.
- September 20, 2005: Tensions
rise over rock climbing; City adopts resolution; Magistrates adopt Adelphia
agreement; Photo Catch: School fair parade.
- September 13, 2005: Charges
pending in marijuana growing operation; Local efforts underway for Hurricane
Katrina relief; Minor quake hits northeastern Kentucky; 2005 Pleasant Ridge
- September 6, 2006: Gas prices
top $3 a gallon; Old fashioned house raising in Tollesboro; Rick Ferrell to
perform at fair; Photo Catch: Amy Carver at Commercial Hotel.
- August 30, 2005: Lewis County to
get funds for animal shelter; Man arrested on federal charge; Three injured
in accident; Bald eagle dines in Vanceburg.
- August 23, 2005: Lewis County
gets road funding; BTADD gets enhanced 911 funding; Burglary under
investigation; Open house at Globe Funeral Chapel.
- August 16, 2005: First day of
school "went great"; Magistrates hear first reading of franchise
agreement; Accident claims lives of two Vanceburg men; Residents request
- August 9, 2005: Recycle or pay
higher garbage collection fee; Marijuana eradication activity; Man charged
after barricading himself; From the Riverbank to perform.
- August 2, 2005: County gets
funds for smoking cessation program; Lewis County Schools get CTE award;
Library Board discusses possibility of new building; Photo catch:
Little League and Depot Museum quilt.
- July 26,2005: Three arrested on
shoplifting charges; Tollesboro Elementary to get needed renovation; Hughes,
Maddox re-appointed to fire tax boards; Photo Catch: Morning sunbeams and
Tollesboro church sign to beat the heat.
- July 19, 2005: Volunteers needed
for severe weather forecasting; New water project approved; Three-vehicle
accident results in fatality; Photo Catch: Painting project.
- July 12, 2005: Funding announced
for Crooked Creek repairs; School personnel report; Lewis County awarded ag
development funds; Photo Catch: 4th of July fireworks, Dinner with the
Departed; Hurricane Dennis.
- July 5, 2005: County's workman's
comp still undecided; Library Board OKs budget; Chamber banquet, awards very
successful; Photo Catch: Jim Shelton at Commercial Hotel renovations; Pickin'
and grinnin' at Concord General Store.
- June 28, 2005: Five lauded by
School Board; VRHC finalizes plans for two new units; Independence Day
events announced; PSHH hosts regional home ownership tour.
- June 21, 2005: Relay for Life
raises nearly $29,000; Plant Board approves budget; Still no county
insurance provider; Police reports.
- June 14, 2005: City streets to
be resurfaced; Fire damages apartment; Summer Sounds coming Friday; Photo
Catch: New equipment at Northern Contours, and accident on Fairlane Drive.
- June 7, 2005: UK impacts Lewis
County; Library directors meet in Vanceburg; City Council holds special
session; Photo Catch: LCHS Class of 2005 Top 10%.
- May 31, 2005: Helicopter lands
at Tollesboro Elementary; Stanfield opens new office in Tollesboro; Garrison
teen dies in accident; Accident under investigation.
- May 24, 2005: Four injured on
Ky. Rt. 8; Stolen motorcycle leads high speed chase; Man charged with
attempted burglary; Maysville Army Reserve base on closure list.
- May 17, 2005: Fiscal Court hears
a variety of issues; LCHS science department present success stories; Plant
Board meets in short session; Photo Catch: Police memorial and Stanfield
- May 10. 2005: Northern Contours
continues expansion; AA Highway Drive Smart Blitz; City Council enters
closed session; Photo Catch: Vanceburg Lions Club radio auction.
- May 3, 2005: MSU president
visits Vanceburg; Library may get Bill Gates Foundation funds; State
Attorney General visits Lewis County; Best of the Best.
- April 26, 2005: Mayor attends
"Kentuckians in Washington"; Fungus killing dogwoods; Outdoor Club
gets donation; Photo Catch: robins.
- April 19, 2005: No end in sight
for natural gas prices; County officials meet; Board of Education honored at
2005 KSBA; One hurt in accident.
- April 12, 2005: City Council
authorizes radio payment; One hurt in motorcycle accident; HUD funding
available to serve homeless; Depot museum now open.
- April 5, 2005: Officials table
Holly Road accident; One hurt in accident; April is Fair Housing Month;
Foodland robber remains at large.
- March 29, 2005: Northern
Contours to buy buildings; Foodland robbed, $2,000 reward offered; Deputies
make first meth lab bust; Governor announces road bonds.
- March 22, 2005: Magistrates
accept insurance bid; School Board approves Code of Conduct; Fatal accident
Monday morning on AA Highway; Fire destroys Quincy home.
- March 15, 2005: Council tables
road request; State budget includes funds for water projects; Two charged in
burglaries; Photo Catch: Easter yard decorations.
- March 8, 2005: Road maintenance
schedule announced; Coast Guard Auxiliary being organized; Lewis County
Family Dental welcomes new dentist; Photo Catch: Warm weather activity
and bagging fundraiser.
- March 1, 2005: Amy Kennedy
appointed to Kentucky Commission on Women; Library Board hears audit report;
Inmate escapee caught after walking away; Photo Catch: Commercial Hotel
renovation work and Jim Shelton at Renaissance Committee meeting.
- February 22, 2005: Academic
Team headed to Governor's Cup; Magistrates hear road problems and updates;
School Board hears success stories; Photo Catch: VFW funeral detail.
- February 15, 2005: Governor
visits Lewis County; Electric Plant Board hears test results; City Attorney
addresses employee dismissal; Spilled lumber disrupts traffic.
- February 8, 2005: Pennsylvania
educators visit LCHS; Fair Board selects new amusement ride company;
Detention Center holds training day; County road funds announced for Lewis
- February 1, 2005: What the top
stories were; Accident under investigation; One charged in assault;
Tollesboro FD gets 5/9 rating.
- January 25, 2005: Library
acquires two new computers; More fake money found; Fire destroys
outbuilding; Photo catch: more snow!
- January 18, 2005: Fiscal Court
hears road problems; Principals present findings to School Board; Water
lines to be extended to several areas; Man charged in burglaries.
- January 11, 2005: Two local
locations under consideration for power plant; Ohio River crested Monday
morning; City Council considers ownership of access road; Kennard and Jolly
achieve professional development marks.
- January 4, 2005: What were the
top stories for 2004?; Train wheel falls off at crossing; Two hurt in
accident; KECI fellows learn entrepreneurial coaching skills.
- December 28, 2004: Unemployment
rate unchanged; County officials give monthly reports; Two charged in
break-in; Photo Catch: Building razed, and FRG "Angels Among Us".
- December 21, 2004: Funny money
in Lewis County; Court hears road issues; Boys & Girls Club to open;
Photo Catch: Vanceburg traffic accident and Tollesboro fire.
- December 14, 2004: Natural gas
rates seeing double-digit increases; Zwosta deploys to Afghanistan; Accident
claims life of Ewing teen; Photo Catch: Traffic accidents in Vanceburg.
- December 7, 2004: Magistrates deadlock on insurance;
LCFHC welcomes eye doctor; 301st Chemical Company deploys; Unemployment down in Lewis
- November 30, 2004: Drug sweep nets several arrests;
Fiscal Court meets in recessed session; Farmer's Market gets $80,0000; Photo Catch: our
- November 23, 2004: Library receives state aid funds;
City Council holds special session; A Day of Remembrance; Photo Catch: Building face lift
on Vanceburg's Main Street.
- November 16, 2004: Magistrates hear health insurance
bids; School Board gets CATS award; Natural gas rates increase; Burley warehouses get
ready for last tobacco sales season.
- November 9, 2004: Lewis County has heavy voter turnout;
Council hears right-of-way dispute; Sealant program to help protect teeth; Photo Catch:
elections and road repair.
- November 2, 2004: Lewis County gets funds for road
projects; PSHH raises house for Ronda Wilson; Police Reports; Questions raised on
- October 26, 2004: Library Board talks with construction
consultant; Voter turnout could be higher on election day; Tobacco farmers may lose
payments; Photo Catch: Lewis County Lions football.
- October 19, 2004: School Board hears insurance update;
Magistrates approve appointments; Plant Board hears report; Police Reports.
- October 12, 2004: Council adopts tax rates; PSHH house
raising; Car strikes house; Wayward rig turns over on Route 3309.
- October 5, 2004: Three injured in AA accident; Local
artist displays work; Garrison man convicted of reckless homicide; Photo Catch: Touring in
- September 28, 2004: School Board hears parental concern;
New bookmobile librarian hired; Funds received for Vanceburg Hill demolitions; Photo
Catch: Tobacco wilting; and mobile home fire.
- September 21, 2004: Council hears of VPD sergeant
resignation; Magistrates hear report of jail inspection; Appreciation expressed at library
luncheon; Electric Plant Board meets.
- September 14, 2004: Kentucky receives grants for fire
departments; Know County deputy jailer pleads guilty; School Fair underway; Photo Catch:
Polar Star Lodge car show.
- September 7, 2004: Board of Health considers employees'
grievances; Unemployment up in Lewis County for July; School Fair opens September 14;
Photo Catch: Ag agent leaves for new job, and Grand Opening at Ron's IGA in Tollesboro.
- August 31, 2004: County joins City in new planning
commission; Weapons found, man charged; Fire destroys Tollesboro home; Two charged after
credit card stolen.
- August 24, 2004: Two Main Street businesses to relocate;
Library Board will celebrate 50 years; Thefts under investigation; School Fair pageant
- August 17, 2004: Fiscal Court gets road updates; Council
approves annexation; Electric Plant Board hears report; Four hurt in parking lot accident.
- August 10, 2004: Council hears adult ed update;
Community leaders attend PD meeting with school staff; Library launches new automation
system; Photo Catch: Pauline Applegate at Democrat Convention, and LCHS Lions football
- August 3, 2004: Park facilities open in Lewis County;
FoodWorld is now Ron's IGA; Deputy investigates accident; Train cars derail near South
- July 27, 2004: Library automation begins; Wayward truck
cause truck stop damage; Trial scheduled for four men charged in assault; Photo Catch:
rolling hay and building demolition.
- July 13, 2004: Two arrested for marijuana cultivation;
Two hurt by lightning strike; Three injured in auto-four wheeler accident; Photo Catch:
Pre-Teen Pageant contestants and Snook Hickle.
- July 6, 2004: Dr. O'Cull appointed to MSU Board of
Regents; Tollesboro Lions Club Fair is next week; Appeals Court reinstates Sonny Landham's
lawsuit; Photo Catch: Farmers market.
- June 29, 2004: Con artists preying on disaster victims;
Lewis County eligible for disaster assistance; VFW has new digs; Photo Catch: VFW
- June 22, 2004: Fiscal Court hears more cable TV
complaints; Laurel parents question school board; City council approves ordinances,
discusses annexation; Three hurt in AA accident.
- June 15, 2004: Fiscal Court holds workshop; City Council
gets budget review; Plant Board will have lean budget; Cemetery Board meets.
- June 8, 2004: Fourth flash flood victim recovered; The
passing of a President; Relay for Life is Friday night; Photo Catch: Civil War headstones
and AA accident.
- June 1, 2004: Flash flood results in fatal accident; Two
charged following attempted ATM break-in; Two die in separate accidents; A small town
dedicated to helping.
- May 25, 2004: Two charged in lottery ticket theft;
Library Board OKs name change; Operation ABC Mobilization; Photo Catch: Bald eagle at
Sherman Kegley's farm.
- May 18, 2004: Fiscal Court OKs fire tax district; School
Board hears from principals; Plant Board rejects transformer bid; Photo Catch: PFC Michael
Jones in Iraq.
- May 11, 2004: Two charged after improper drive-thru at
Tollesboro restaurant; Two only slightly injured in AA accident; City Council meets;
Project Drug Free Lewis County established.
- May 4, 2004: Meeting held for fire tax district; Black
Oak Market burglarized; Two suspects apprehended following separate chases; Photo Catch:
fog catching spiderweb.
- April 27, 2004: Fire departments respond to structure
fire; Bone marrow donor needed; Unemployment rate rises in Lewis County; HOSA annual
- April 20, 2004: Fiscal Court tables fire tax proposal;
School Board lauds several students; Plant Board meets in closed session; Photo Catch:
Freddie Bevins and library barcodes.
- April 13, 2004: Council hears traffic concerns;
Petersville man dies in traffic accident; Tollesboro woman hurt in accident; Gilbert
receives library trustee grant.
- April 6, 2004: One arrested following high speed chase;
Parties agree to dismiss lawsuit; Advisories issued by LCSO; Photo Catch: Petersville
Church of God.
- March 30, 2004: Two die following alleged domestic
dispute; Primary Care receives AEDs; Survey to document New Deal resources; Photo Catch:
- March 23, 2004: Library Board hears reports; More
illegal satellite cards found; Cleanup Week being held; Photo Catch: Polar Star Lodge.
- March 16, 2004: Continuing road problems addressed;
Plant Board gets SCADA demo; School Board meets; Two hurt in accident.
- March 9, 2004: City Council meets; Vanceburg woman dies
in accident; Bill would give local control over covered bridges; Photo Catch: District
champs; and weather damage.
- March 2, 2004: Band director Dan Prickett dies at age
58; One injured in ATV accident; Fire season underway; Photo Catch: Opossum visitor and
new VVFD firetruck.
- February 24, 2004: LCHS academic team wins Governor's
Cup; Electric Plant Board hears annual report; Funding delayed for health department
construction; Photo Catch: 2004 Fire Queen and Leadership Horizons.
- February 17, 2004: Helen Rayburn honored; Two charged
with arson; Fiscal court hears more road complaints; Renovation nears completion.
- February 10, 2004: Man arrested in satellite card
pirating; City Council hears audit report; Conservation District cost-share program; Photo
Catch: Polar Star Lodge officers.
- February 3, 2004: Snow prompts several accidents; Maj.
Smith awarded Bronze Star; Former Gov. Nunn dies at 79; Burley tobacco quota up.
- January 27, 2004: Here are your top stories; AA accident
fatal; Tollesboro VFD awarded grant; House passes bill limiting sweets in schools.
- January 20, 2004: County prohibits keeping exotic
wildlife; School Board hears test data reports; Electric Plant Board meets; Photo Catch:
- January 13, 2004: Accidents abundant during first snow;
City Council meets; Lykins first to file under new Secretary of State; $500 reward offered
- January 6, 2004: What were the top stories?; Burglaries
investigated; Home burns in Ribolt; Photo Catch: more photos of Ribolt fire.
- December 30, 2003: Firefighters have busy week;
Industrial Authority meets; FDIC, Financial Premier reach agreement;
- December 23, 2003: Clooney courts voters in 4th
District; Man charged after alleged attempt to shoot sheriff; Three arrested in Guardsman
attack; Photo Catch: Trace Creek accident and library window display.
- December 16, 2003: Garbage ordinance approved; Progress
made toward school performance goals; Lines completed for water project; Photo Catch:
nutcracker display at depot museum.
- December 9, 2003: City Council discusses bids; Break-in
attempted at Tollesboro clinic; Accident under investigation; Photo Catch: downtown
Vanceburg holiday lights.
- December 2, 2003: Two charged in Tollesboro burglary;
First community Thanksgiving meal a success; Where's your trash?; Photo Catch: Shirley
Porter honored, Tollesboro Lady Cats basketball bluegrass fundraiser, Sunshine Community
- November 25, 2003: Robin Webb to seek fourth term;
Tasers added to LCSO arsenal; City Council meets in special session; Photo Catch: Ohio
River flood waters.
- November 18, 2003: Juvenile curfew ordinance passed;
School Board briefed on "No Child Left Behind" act; Plant Board plans more
extensions; Renaissance Committee awarded $250,000.
- November 11, 2003: Northern Contours to expand into
former Nine West building; Industrial Authority meets; City Council meets; Photo Catch:
Rt. 8 accident and Senior Apartments fire.
- November 4, 2003: UK dental teams visit Lewis County;
Soybean extruder is funded; PSHH Blitz Build in Garrison; Photo Catch: AA Highway accident
at William Branch.
- October 28, 2003: Lewis County Library gets grants;
Cabin Creek Watershed Council proposed; School board approves audit; Petersville First
Church of God seeks help.
- October 21, 2003: E-911 explained, public still unsure;
Magistrates hear more road complaints; Lewis County man charged with arson; Accidents
- October 14, 2003: Flood insurance is topic for City;
Firefighters receive equipment; PSHH to host blitz build; Stanley files suit in
- October 7, 2003: Fiscal Court to create cemetery board;
Road slip creates concern for resident; Accident investigated; Photo Catch: State Rep
Robin Webb recognized by AARP.
- September 30, 2003: Old tires and junk car removal;
Woman dies following Burtonville accident; Conservation District approved for pilot
program; Photo Catch: Pumpkin auction, inmates repair bench.
- September 23, 2003: Amnesty program collects 16,500
tires; Plant Board rejects latest Grayson RECC proposal; Harvest Day is Saturday; Photo
Catch: Vintage cannon and another view of Hurricane Isabel.
- September 16, 2003: County officials consider E-911;
City adopts vicious animal ordinance; School Board reviews CTB scores; Photo Catch: water
main rupture and Fairlane Drive accident.
- September 9, 2003: L&C Expedition local events grow;
Sheriff warns of scam in area; Accidents under investigation; Photo Catch: recycling
containers and leadership award to Helen Rayburn.
- September 2, 2003: Turn in tires at no cost; Two charged
in death of neighbor; School Fair board meets; Photo Catch: Bicycle accident and bank
- August 26, 2003: Mandatory garbage collection meeting
held; Lewis County man dies in accident; John O'Cull Dentistry celebrates 20 years; Photo
Catch: storm photos.
- August 19, 2003: County fire department asks for tax
district; WWII vet gets LCHS diploma; Electric to be off for improvements; Photo Catch:
flooding and accidents.
- August 12, 2003: Shoe factory will have new occupant;
Meeting set for mandatory garbage collection; Plans underway for Boys & Girls Club;
Photo Catch: Mississippi Queen, Tobacco cutting, VVFD fleet.
- August 5, 2003: Downtown gets $200,000 grant; PSHH open
house Friday afternoon; Emerson women died in Carter County accident; Photo Catch: Lewis
County Middle School renovations and Black Oak VFD presents plaque to Coroplast.
- July 29, 2003: Heritage Council assesses Commercial
Hotel Restoration; Ag Agent receives state and national awards; Disaster aid nears $4
million; Photo Catch: Truck fire and Route 8 accident.
- July 22, 2003: Board opts to not sell to health
department; Class D inmate supervisor course held; Repairs continue for power lines;
Thefts under investigation.
- July 15, 2003: Magistrates approve jail changes; City
Council OKs fire truck purchase; School Board members reach development mark; Photo Catch:
Al Hasa Oriental Band.
- July 8, 2003: Another disaster declared; Lewis &
Clark events planned; One hurt in accident; Photo Catch: wild turkeys.
- July 1, 2003: One dies in auto accident; Trash
containers available; Fire believed intentional; Farmers market program expanded.
- June 24, 2003: Local assistance offices open; Proposed
$200 million settlement reached; Marijuana plants found; Photo Catch: Softball team car
wash, Garrison fireworks.
- June 17, 2003: County adopts $4.3 million budget; Middle
School project approved; Help sought in slip; Photo Catch: Alltel worker injured, Virgil
Mefford lights Relay torch, Rt. 344 accident, Garrison Cruise-in.
- June 10, 2003: Recycling, new rates to begin next month;
Council hears Adelphia update; Federal help approved for tornado; Photo Catch: accidents
leave boat on pavement, car in creek.
- June 3, 2003: Rash of house fires in area; Two Lewis
County deputies honored; String of break-ins under investigation; Photo Catch: traffic
blitz and district fast pitch champions.
- May 27, 2003: Fletcher, Chandler win primary; Past
tornadoes in Lewis County; Red Cross and residents pull together; Photo Catch: Spring
cleaning at courthouse.
- May 20, 2003: WWII vet gets THS diploma; Twister
classified as F3; Plant Board gets FEMA help; Photo Catch: Tree on truck, Pre-schoolers at
- May 13, 2003: Tornado hits us; City, County to jointly
apply for health dept. funds; County plans old vehicle removal; Photo Catch: Frank
Kilgallin's fish catch, Michael Doran in Baghdad.
- May 6, 2003: Disaster aid nears $13 million; Fire
damages home; Wild cherry leaves can kill livestock; Photo Catch: American Queen
riverboat, and Inmates at Garrison Boat Launch.
- April 29, 2003: Mandatory garbage collection coming;
City presents proposal for Human Resources office; Cleanup week successful; Photo Catch:
car in house; Prom King & Queen; Motorcycle benefit run.
- April 22, 2003: Fiscal Court adopts ordinances; Cordle
to head Augusta schools; Fraud hotline established; Photo Catch: Department of Education
Commissioner Gene Wilhoit, Sean Howard book club presentation.
- April 15, 2003: City eyes annexation; Many attend show
of support; Board reviews storm damage; Photo Catch: new Vanceburg postmaster, Schoolbus
accident, Mudslide, Red bat.
- April 8, 2003: Disaster aid tops $4 million; LCMA plans
show of support; Lions auction a success; Photo Catch: Regional Business Expo, and Barn
damaged from windstorm.
- April 1, 2003: Accident investigated; Carbon monoxide
claims life of Vanceburg man; Death investigated; Photo Catch: Grayson Spur fatal
accident, LCMS academic team.
- March 25, 2003: Disaster aid tops $1 million; Ground
broken for SLCWP; Firebrick VFD gets new truck; Sheriff's Report.
- March 18, 2003: President declares major disaster here;
Board reviews storm damage; Garrison sewer project a "go"; Photo Catch: more ice
- March 11, 2003: Council hears storm update; Signs will
welcome visitors; Shock probation denied; Photo Catch: Mayor Cooper shows map of proposed
lake, Harold and Georgetta Voiers honored.
- March 4, 2003: Work continues after storm; One hurt in
Tollesboro accident; Another truck strikes rock wall; Photo Catch: Gas leak; storm damage.
- February 25, 2003: Work continues in storm cleanup;
Accident investigated; Break-ins investigated; Photo Catch: more storm photos.
- February 18, 2003: Storm freezes area, worst in memory;
Emergency assistance available; Fiscal Court road wish list; Photo Catch: more winter
- February 11, 2003: City Council hears audit report,
takes action on water project; Area burglaries investigated; Numerous accidents
investigated; Photo Catch: snow pictures from around the county.
- February 4, 2003: Farmers pack room for Phase I meeting;
Alarm systems should be registered; Sheriff's office investigates accidents; And the top
stories for 2002 are . . .
- January 28, 2003: Benefit concert a success; KET to
feature Kinniconick; Quincy robbery investigated; WWII vet receives diploma.
- January 21, 2003: Low bids mean more water line
extensions; County insurance changed to previous provider; Accident investigated; Photo
Catch: Breakfast Club at Osman Pharmacy.
- January 14, 2003: New Court meets; Council meets, thanks
police; Depot Museum to renew exhibits; Photo Catch: Lions Club basketball tournament.
- January 7, 2003: Pauline Applegate retires from post
office after 54 years; Lions Tournament will be Saturday; Couple charged for robbing
machines; Photo Catch: George Plummer honored.
Click here for Year 2000 archive list
Click here for Year 2001 archive list
Click here for Year 2002 archive list
or use the search engine.
|Search The Lewis County Herald news archives back to April 26, 2000. Type in
a keyword(s) and then click "Search".
Questions or comments? E-mail Us:
Lewis County Herald ( firstname.lastname@example.org )
This site developed and maintained by D.K.
© Copyright 2008, Lewis County Herald Publishing Co., Inc.
The content of these pages is for the information of our visitors and may not be
reproduced without written permission. To request permission, contact Dennis Brown at 606-796-2331.